Apparently Oreos, the great American cream-filled cookies are vegan in the US, but for some bizarre reason they contain milk in the UK. So here is my version (following the recipe in Vegan Cookies Invade the Cookie Jar but with a couple of tweaks such as flavour of filling and cooking time and temperature). One half I’ve done with a delicate green mint filling, and the other a fragrant vanilla cream. I wonder if my girls will like them as a snack on the way to their swimming class after school?
Minteos and Noreos (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, vegetarian, vegan)
Makes approx. 24 sandwich biscuits
- 3/4 cup vegetable fat
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 11/2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsps cornflour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable fat
- 1/4 cup dairy-free spread
- 2 and 3/4 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 tsp mint essence
- 1/4 tsp green food colouring
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade
– Cream together the vegetable fat and sugar. When fluffy, add the oat milk and vanilla. Mix well.
– Sift in the remaining ingredients and bring together to a firm-ish dough.
– Place half on a sheet of baking paper, place more paper on top and roll out to 1/4-1/2cm thickness. Cut out rounds with a cookie cutter. Transfer to a lined baking sheet.
– Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on the tray for five minutes before moving to a wire rack.
– Repeat with remaining mixture until it’s all be used up.
– Meanwhile, make the filling. Using an electric whisk (if possible) beat together the vegetable fat and dairy-free spread.
– Add the icing sugar in 1/2 cup measurements, until fully incorporated. It may look this breadcrumbs, so squeeze together to form a stiff paste.
– Split into two. Add the vanilla paste to one half and knead until combined. Add the mint essence and food colouring (if desired) to the other.
– Roll out large grape size balls of filling and squish between two biscuits.
Update: My year three daughter (big s) took these into school and the results of the poll were…………….
18/18 (including the teacher) said they loved them (especially the Minteos) and they’d definitely have them again – Result!