If you’re British people presume that you live off apple crumble and custard. To be honest it’s never been my favourite, mainly due to bad school food consisting of various sponge puddings drowned in lumpy custard! Having revisited Apple Crumble as an adult I can appreciate it’s a fantastic, quick and easy warming pudding…. and the biggest bonus is it very easily converts to being dairy-free. It definitely works best with cooking apples and then the apple layer goes soft and fluffy. I used eating apples which worked fine but be aware that the apples keep some texture and make sure that’s to your taste!
Oaty Apple Crumble (dairy-free, egg-free, soya-free, nut-free, vegetarian, vegan)
serves at least 4
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup dairy-free spread (Pure)
- 1/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup oats
- demerara sugar to sprinkle
– Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade
– Grease an oven proof dish with a smear of dairy-free spread
– Mix together the apples, lemon juice and 1 tbsp of sugar. Pour into the dish.
– Rub the dairy-free spread into the flour with your fingertips (or pulse in a food processor), stir in the sugar and oats.
– Sprinkle over the apple mixture.
– Sprinkle the top with demerara sugar
– Bake for about 30 minutes
– Serve with dairy-free custard if liked (I used Alpro Soya Custard)