Veggie sausages always seem like a good idea – but the ones you buy are either unpleasant tasting and trying to be like fake meat (as a veggie, I HATE fake meat) or bland spongy things which are best avoided. I tried some veggie sausage recipes from the Food for Friends cookbook. They were good, but maybe not quite to my taste. So, the other day, after a rummage in a fridge, this is the version I came up with – and my, they are lovely! I served them with mustard mash and thyme & onion gravy – delicious! By the way, they’re Nosages because they’re Not sausages if you were wondering.
Nosages – Mediterranean Veggie Sausages (egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, vegetarian, can be dairy-free and vegan if leave out the parmesan)
For 2 nosages, perfect for one person – increase amounts for more!
- 1 slice of bread, made into breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsps sunblush tomatoes in oil, most of the oil drained off
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 clove of garlic, minced (if liked)
- 1 large handful rocket or spinach
- small bunch of basil
- handful parmesan, grated (optional)
– Best to use a food processor
– Blend the bread to make fine breadcrumbs.
– Add the tomatoes, balsamic, rocket and basil (and parmesan and garlic, if using) and blend to combine
– Taste and adjust the seasoning
– Tip out onto a sheet of cling film, shape into a large sausage shape and roll tightly. Chill well.
– Unwrap and cut into two. Fry in sunflower oil.