This is the recipe for the frangipane
layer used in the Knockout Pear and Almond Pastries
that I posted yesterday. I thought it was probably worth posting the recipe for just the frangipane as I’ve never before developed a suitable egg/dairy-free recipe. Frangipane is basically a delicate almond paste that can be used as a filling in a variety of cakes, tarts, pastries or croissants. This paste is a remarkably good substitute for the original French recipe – maybe it’ll have to be Almond Croissants next….. mmmm my favourite all-time breakfast!
Egg-Free Frangipane (dairy-free, egg-free, soya-free, peanut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 60g dairy-free spread, such as Pure Sunflower
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups ground almonds
- 3 tbsps cornflour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsps oat milk, such as Oatly
– Rub or pulse the spread into the sugar, ground almonds, cornflour, salt and essences. It should be dryish and crumbly.
– Add the oat milk and combine to make a stiff paste.
– keep cover at room temperature until ready to use.