Fruit Leather

My children love fruity snacks – I guess I’ve always given them quite a lot as they’re generally safe and fairly easy to find. I had never really thought of making them until I saw a gorgeous photo on Pinterest. It turns out that fruit leather, whilst fairly time consuming, is simply the easiest thing to make, ever!

Fruit Leather (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)

Makes one rectangular baking tray full

• 600g strawberries
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 1-2 tbsps caster sugar

– Preheat the oven to it’s lowest setting
– Blitz the strawberries in a food processor until its a fine, smooth purée. Taste and add the lemon and sugar. Blitz again. Taste again and add more sugar if needed.
– Sieve.
– Line a baking sheet with cling film (don’t worry the oven is so low in temperature that it won’t melt), making sure there is no overhang and its as smooth as possible.
– Pour the sieved purée onto the lined baking tray and level off.
– Place in the oven for 3-4 hours until the surface has dried but it hasn’t turned a different colour.
– Remove from the oven, score into bar shapes with a pizza wheel. Peel off the cling film. –

– Keep well covered for up to 4 weeks.

1. amberwild says:

What temp. do you put the oven on? I mean what’s your lowest setting? Is 170° F ok?

Mine was on 225degrees F as it doesn’t go lower but I had to keep checking the edges didn’t frazzle. I reckon 170 would be perfect… May take a little longer though!

Unreal, why did I think I needed a dehydrator to make dried fruit leather? I have so many apples! this is totally happening soon!

We’ve had such a bad apple harvest this year…. I’m going to have to beg/borrow or buy my apples! I haven’t tried apple fruit bars …. But they’re next on my list!

Oh, sorry Lucy! I don’t grow my own, but Utah has great apples this time of year. I can’t wait to get to this recipe still!

Mmm, in season apples …. Yummy! It’s a shame to cook them when they’re perfect though!

I know, but it’s also quite difficult to eat them all before they spoil 😉

3. livliveslife says:

I’m SO happy that you put up a recipe for fruit leather! I love this stuff!

I love your blog so much, I’ve nominated you for the Sunshine Award! 🙂