My children love fruity snacks – I guess I’ve always given them quite a lot as they’re generally safe and fairly easy to find. I had never really thought of making them until I saw a gorgeous photo on Pinterest. It turns out that fruit leather, whilst fairly time consuming, is simply the easiest thing to make, ever!
Fruit Leather (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
Makes one rectangular baking tray full
- 600g strawberries
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1-2 tbsps caster sugar
– Preheat the oven to it’s lowest setting
– Blitz the strawberries in a food processor until its a fine, smooth purée. Taste and add the lemon and sugar. Blitz again. Taste again and add more sugar if needed.
– Line a baking sheet with cling film (don’t worry the oven is so low in temperature that it won’t melt), making sure there is no overhang and its as smooth as possible.
– Pour the sieved purée onto the lined baking tray and level off.
– Place in the oven for 3-4 hours until the surface has dried but it hasn’t turned a different colour.
– Remove from the oven, score into bar shapes with a pizza wheel. Peel off the cling film. –
– Keep well covered for up to 4 weeks.