Tangy scones that are perked up with marmite, nutritional yeast, and herbs. Pow! Flavour punch. Need a savoury bite to accompany that steaming bowl of soup? These fit the bill nicely.
Savoury scones (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan) NB Contains gluten.
- 200g plain flour (1 3/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 tsps baking powder, levelled off
- 40g dairy-free spread
- 1 tbsp marmite mixed with 1 tbsp boiling water
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 120 ml oat milk
- glaze: 1 tsp marmite mixed with 1 tsp boiling water and 1 tbsp oat milk
– Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 6
– Oil and flour a baking sheet.
– Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in the oregano.
– Rub in the spread with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
– Pour in the oat milk and watery marmite mix. Bring together to form a soft dough.
– Turn out and lightly knead.
– Press out the dough to 2 inches high and cut out circles with a cookie cutter.
– Place on the baking sheet and brush with the glaze.
– Bake for 20 minutes until the scones have risen and golden.
– Cool on a wire rack.