A good banana loaf recipe is a winning addition to any baking repertoire. I have others, but this loaf is a cut above the rest with the additions of Lotus Caramelised spread (you could use peanut butter), roasted bananas and large chunks of rich, dark chocolate. By all means use nuts or dried fruit instead of the chocolate, it will work nicely, but make sure you roast the bananas for that extra special banana flavour. That’s the key to this one.
Caramelised Roasted Banana and Chocolate Loaf (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 1 2lb loaf
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed, roasted bananas
- 1/3 cup Lotus caramelised spread
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4
– Halve the bananas lengthways and roast for 20-30 minutes. Mash and cool.
– Line or grease a 2 lb loaf tin
– Add the lemon juice to the oat milk and set aside.
– Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt into a large bowl.
– Add the bananas, caramelised spread and vanilla to the oat milk mix. Stir well
– Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
– Fill the loaf tin with the mix.
– Bake for 40-50 minutes, until golden and a knife comes out clean.
– Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
– Drizzle with a simple water icing.