We seems to have been eating a lot of wintery, stodgy fare this January – but the sight of some welcome sun and snowdrops popping up has inspired a hint of spring in my cooking. What better way to add some sunshine to a meal than heaps of fresh herbs in a brilliant bright green sauce? And with piquant gherkins and capers you have something truly vibrant.
Normally served with meat or fish, I think this rustic salsa is perfect with roasted Mediterranean vegetables. It also makes an awesome potato salad.
Salsa Verde (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp capers, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup gerkins/cornichons, finely chopped
- 2 large handfuls of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2-3 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 6-8 tbsps extra virgin olive oil, depending on desired consistency
- salt and pepper
– Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
– Taste well, adjusting the vinegar, seasoning and olive according to how you like it.
– Cover until ready to use.
– Best eaten on the day it’s made.