I needed a hearty, packable snack that would give a boost of energy but also warmth during this bitterly cold weather. Flapjacks seem to be the ultimate energy giver and combining them with the natural warmth of ginger keeps the chill at bay. Well, that’s the theory. The crystalized ginger gives bursts of spice while the ground ginger gives an underlying warmth. These will keep me going at work this week!
Ginger Flapjacks (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 24
- 200g dairy free spread
- 200g demerara sugar
- 200g golden syrup
- 400g oats
- 1/2 tsp salt (preferably fleur de sel)
- 50g chopped crystalised Ginger
- 1/2- 1 tsp ground ginger, depending on taste
– Preheat oven to 180 degrees Centigrade
– Line a 30×20 cm (approx.) baking tray with foil
– Melt together the dairy free spread, sugar, syrup and salt
– When the sugar has dissolved mix into the oats and ground ginger.
– Gently stir in the chopped ginger
– Spread into the lined baking tray
– Bake for 15-20 mins until golden
– Cool well before cutting into bars/squares. Or freeze whole and cut when defrosted.