I always try to make some homemade treat at the weekend so that the girls can have a tempting homemade goodie when they get home from school. Whilst they are incredibly lucky in being provided with fairly diverse safe lunch options at school – I know that they don’t eat much and are consequently starving on getting home!
Last week I bought a bumper bunch of bananas as they were reduced, so they had to feature, and what goes better with banana than chocolate? However, looking through cook books and online most banana cookies seem to be a variation on an oat cookie. Didn’t really fancy that, so here are my soft, slightly cakey banana and chocolate chip cookies.
Banana and Chocolate Chip Cookies (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 12
- 1/3 cup dairy-free spread
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4
– Cream together the spread and sugar
– Stir in the vanilla and bananas
– Sift in the flour, bicarb, baking powder and salt
– Bring together to a soft dough
– Stir in the chopped chocolate
– Drop tbsp amounts onto a lined cookie sheet, placing well apart
– Bake for 10 minutes until risen and turning golden
– Cool briefly on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack
– These cookies do go soggy fast so eat ASAP!