Iced Buns

Iced buns, viewed in the window of any English bakery, are a must for any collection of comfort food. For some reason they make me think of roaring fires and cosy knitwear – odd I know! Apparently some iced buns found in supermarkets are dairy-free, but I’ve never found any that are also nut-free – if you know of any safe brands please let me know?

Anyway, I though some iced buns would be the perfect tea time treat after trudging around the shops doing our Christmas shopping. They certainly went down a treat 🙂

Iced Buns (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)

makes 6

• 225g strong bread flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp dried yeast
  • 50g caster sugar
  • 150ml dairy-free milk
  • 50g dairy-free spread

– Melt the spread into the milk (don’t make it more than tepid though)
– Pour into the dry ingredients
– Bring to a dough and knead until smooth
– Place in an oiled bowl, cover and leave to double in size in a warm place
– Divide into 6 even sized pieces and form into finger bun shapes
– Place apart on a floured baking sheet, cover and leave to rise for 30 minutes
– Preheat the oven to 190 degrees centigrade/180 degrees fan, or gas mark 4
– Bake for 15 minutes until golden, risen and they sound hollow when tapped
– Cool and then top with thick water icing.

1. Yum! Love an iced bun!

2. Mr Fitz says:

iced buns… yeah!!!

3. Katherine Pearce says:

Is the mixture meant to be so wet? Its so sticky.

Its meant to be fairly like a soft bread dough mixture

4. Olivia Turner says:

I made these the other day and they were delicious! I’m making them again but I didn’t have enough butter- eep! Hope they turn out okay (currently leaving to prove) . Thanks for the recipe! It was non-vegan approved too.

5. Thank you so much for this recipe, I can’t wait to try it!! I run past a bakery every evening where they make these, and the smell has got me craving them so badly! 😀 xx

did you make them? Hope they turned out well x

1. sticklebrick77 says:

Hi! I’m going to make these with my daughter, they look amazing!

In the second rise, does that need to be in a warm place as well?

Hi, yes ideally. X

6. I’m trying these using doves farm free from bread flour, should it still be sticky when i leave it ro rise? Or should i add more flour as I added more for this reason and it doesn’t seem to be rising.

how did they turn out? sorry i didn’t get a notification of your comment for some reason so didn’t notice it – sorry for the delay in replying.