Petit Beurre Biscuits (dairy-free)

vegan chocolate coated petit beurre cookies

Here is another riff on a classic. I was given this lovely petit beurre making kit by Mason Cash and couldn’t wait to make a safe version for my girls. Chocolate coated biscuits are unfailingly popular and such a classic, but petit beurre must be the prettiest with their stamp of chocolate on top; and since we’ve just returned from a lovely French holiday where chocolate coated petit beurre biscuits are pretty much a national obsession, the time was right to start experimenting.

dairy-free petit beurre biscuits

I did some research online and it seems that a classic petit beurre biscuit is made differently to most, with melted butter and water being stirred into the dry ingredients. I tweaked the recipe to make it a friendly version and the results are very pleasing. However be warned, the dough is very springy and the shapes reduce in size considerably when cut out – they then bounce back! Make sure they’re rolled fairly thin or your’ll end up with a thick doughy biscuits rather than a thin cracker like affair.

mason cash petit beurre kit

They went down an absolute storm (despite me using the wrong side of the chocolate moulds and the stamps being upside down – oops!); who can resist a chocolate coated biscuit after all? If you’re not lucky enough to have the branded mould, just set slabs of melted chocolate onto some baking paper and then stick those onto of the biscuits – they may not look as pretty, but they’ll still taste divine πŸ™‚

Petit Beurre Biscuits

chocolate coated dairy-free, egg-free biscuits

(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, can be soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)

Makes lots!

100g sugar
100g dairy-free spread/margarine
100ml water
1/4 tsp salt
250g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
100g dairy-free chocolate

1. In a large saucepan melt together the sugar, spread, vanilla and water until the sugar has dissolved, then cool a little. Stir in the dry ingredients to form a thick dough. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge to cool
  2. Meanwhile, melt and, if possible, temper the chocolate and fill the moulds (or make relevant shapes on baking parchment). Leave to set.
  3. Once chilled, roll out the dough, you want it to be pretty thin, probably about 2-3 mm, then cut or stamp out shapes. If you don’t have a petit beurre stamper (which is probably unlikely!) prick each shape with a fork and transfer to a baking sheet.stamping out petit beurre
  4. Bake at 180 degrees for 10-12 minutes, until the biscuits are starting to turn golden around the edges. Cool on a wire rack.plain petit beurre, egg and dairy free
  5. Once cool, attach the chocolate stamp with a smear of melted chocolate.

vegan chocolate biscuits

1. SpoonGood says:

Those look absolutely gorgeous!

2. Anita Kushwaha says:

So lovely! These are fave of mine. I love the embossed chocolates. πŸ™‚

Somehow the fact they’re pretty makes them taste even more special!

3. These look divine… and I wouldn’t even have noticed the chocolate was the wrong way around if you hadn’t said! πŸ˜› πŸ™‚ Thank you!

At least they still tasted great!

4. Just when I think you’ve made the most amazing thing and it’s my absolute favorite — you top yourself. These are amazing. I hope you are planning to do a cookbook of favorite treats made allergy-friendly. If not, you should be!

I’d seriously love to! πŸ™‚

1. You must. You even already have gorgeous photos. And a wonderful theme — and story. I’m surprised a publisher hasn’t already approached you.

Aww thank you – I have plans but it’s a long way to go! X

3. Really? I wouldn’t have said so. I’ve been reading your blog for a couple of years now and there’s plenty of material. I’m surprised you haven’t been approached by an agent or publisher yet.

5. Gorgeous Lucy I love the Parisian choc tops!

6. Starr says:

Nicely done, Lucy! They look so fancy, and I’m another who didn’t even notice that the imprints were reversed. πŸ™‚

Thank you! I probably shouldn’t have mentioned the upside down stamps!!

7. pinkiebag says:

Oh wow these look amazing. I love the Parisian theme.

8. bitsofnice says:

I can’t believe you made these! They have always been a favourite of mine when growing up. Thanks for sharing this, such wonderful memories.

Brilliant! πŸ™‚

9. Ooh I always loved these biscuits! Nice to see the aussie dollar getting a look in too πŸ˜‰