Mini cheddars, dairy free!

dairy-free mini cheddars

Savoury snacks which aren’t crisps can be hard to find on a restricted diet,  as so many are cheesy or nutty etc. And you can’t have crisps all the time. Mini cheddars are big (I should probably say popular as obviously they’re mini and not big!) in the UK and if you see people eating a savoury snack it’s most often crisps, nuts or mini cheddars – those bags of mini cheesy crackers are everywhere! They’re clearly out of the question for us (and looking at the pack that might be a good thing as they certainly aren’t in any way healthy) but my girls have often remarked that mini cheddars look tempting. Now that’s the kind of challenge I like!

So here is my dairy-free version of mini cheddars – cheerless cheddars if you like. They are pretty delicious, not as cheesy as the original but definitely with a cheesy savoury twang – perfect as a little salty nibble.

Mini cheddars – dairy-free!

(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)

egg-free, nut-free homemade mini cheddars

1 cup plus 1 tbsp plain flour

3 tbsps nutritional yeast

1 tsp English mustard powder

1/4-1/2 tsp salt

Large pinch of cayenne pepper

5 tbsp dairyfree margarine

2 tbsp cold water

1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees centigrade
  2. In a food processor, pulse together the flour, yeast, spices and margarine. Add the water and continue to pulse until you have formed a soft but not sticky dough ( if it is sticky add a touch more flour)
  3. Roll out to 3 mm thick, stamp out small circles ( about 3 cm diameter) place onto a baking sheet and prick the centres with a fork to give the correct ‘ mini cheddar’ look making vegan mini cheddars
  4. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown
  5. Cool on a wire rack

homemade dairy-free mini cheddars

1. Mr Fitz says:

oh these look so good! as I dont eat cheese.. and would love to eat chedders.. with a beer! job well done!

Now that is a good pairing 😉

2. Yum! I need to make these although I won’t be able to get them all cute and perfect like you do. I miss cheddar crackers so much at this time of year. I was watching a child eating cheese puffs yesterday and drooling with envy. Sad, I know!

Not sad at all! You gave to remember though that if you were to eat them they’d be a huge disappointment and these would be far nicer! 😉

3. smilingawayfoodallergies says:

They look delicious ! Thanks for sharing !

4. Starr says:

These crackers look fab! I can’t wait to try them!

I hope you enjoy them x

5. These are my favourite crackers! Also a big fan of cheese, will definitely try this recipe!

Hope you enjoy them as much as we do 🙂

6. Sandra Johnson says:

I have just been told to go on a fat free diet due to pains. This recipe looks great…defo going to try it.

Fab! Let me know how you find them – hope you enjoy them x

7. Rebecca says:

Can I substitute mustard powder for a smaller portion of English mustard? Can’t seem to find any in our local stores! Thanks! These look delicious x

Absolutely just don’t use too much!