These little swirls are the answer to your snack dreams! Easy, moreish and worthy of any occasion. I serve them instead of crisps, with an aperitif or as a tasty addition to packed lunches. These bites are one of my ‘go to’ recipes when the girls are hungry and only a savoury option will do. To be honest, it’s not much of a recipe, nothing complicated here, but sometimes it’s the inspiration that’s needed rather than the instructions.
Puff pastry has a miriade of uses, and these little bitesized snacks are a great example of a super quick puff based recipe. This recipe if for either pizza flavoured bites (cheese, tomato and oregano), or the ultimate umami taste of cheese and marmite. I know Marmite totally divides people, so go for your favoured choice, or maybe even a combination of the two.
Most puff pastry is dairy-free if it isn’t the ‘all butter’ version (but do check) and is certainly a great freezer staple. I don’t often use dairy-free cheese as i find most of it pretty unpalatable, but it really does work in this recipe as it’s paired with such strong flavours any unpleasant flavour is overpowered and you are left with a pleasing savoury umami taste.
Pizza and Savoury Swirls
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, can be soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
1/2 pack of puff-pastry
1 tbsp tomato puree or 1 tbsp marmite
about 3 tbsp grated dairy-free cheese (enough to lightly sprinkle over)
1/2 tsp oregano if making pizza swirls (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade, Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Roll out the puff pastry to an even rectangle (or be really lazy and use pre-rolled!)
- For pizza swirls: Spread the tomato puree evenly all over the puff. For savoury swirls do the same with the marmite. Sprinkle over the cheese and oregano if using.
- Roll up into a Swiss roll shape. Cut 1cm slices and place onto the baking sheet, with room to spread.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden.