Everyone needs a showstopper dessert recipe made from simple store cupboard ingredients, and this one certainly fits the bill. Most people love chocolate and will sigh with delight when a rich chocolate pudding is produced, combine that with the delicate, elegant look of a tart and you’re surely onto a winner!
I’ve made this chocolate tart many many times and it always goes down a treat. This version is pepped up with a hint of zesty lime for added freshness, and it just seemed to make it more seasonal.
The filling is super simple; a mixture of chocolate, dairy-free milk, sugar and cornflour but the end result has the luscious taste and texture of a super rich chocolate truffle. Combine that with crisp pastry and you’re in heaven!
Served on its own or with a side of dairy-free whipped cream decorated with a sprinkle of lime zest and you have a dessert fit for any occasion
Chocolate and Lime Tart
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 1 tart
150ml dairy-free milk
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp corn flour
170g dairy free dark chocolate, chopped
2 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 1 lime
sprinkle of quality salt
1/2 block shortcrust pastry
- Line the tart case with shortcrust pastry, prick all over, fill with baking beans and blind bake.
- Once it’s browned and the edges have cooked through [about 15 minutes in a medium oven] remove the beans and crisp up the base [another 5 or so minutes]
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Place the water and dairy-free milk and sugar into a saucepan and gently heat.
- Take 1 tbsp of the warmed milk mixture and mix to a smooth paste with the cornflour
- Pour the cornflour mix into the oat milk and stir well, bring to a bubbling boil and add the vanilla.
- Place the chopped chocolate into a bowl. Pour over the hot oat milk and stir to until its a smooth mixture. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Pour into the chocolate into the pastry case. Level off, sprinkle over the lime zest and salt and refrigerate for a few hours until set.
- Serve thin slices (it’s very rich) with a dairy-free cream topped with a little more lime zest.
Great post 🙂