A good banana loaf recipe is a winning addition to any baking repertoire, and this update of a 2013 recipe, it’s one you definitely need in your life. I have others, but this loaf is a cut above the rest with the additions of Lotus Caramelised spread (you could use peanut butter), roasted bananas and large chunks of rich, dark chocolate. By all means use nuts or dried fruit instead of the chocolate, or even just leave them out, it will still work nicely, but make sure you roast the bananas for that extra special banana flavour. That’s the key to this one.
This is a beautiful loaf just plain, but if you want a bit of pizazz then i’d recommend either a water icing drizzle, or the extra special biscoff drizzle.
Caramelised Roasted Banana and Chocolate Loaf (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 1 2lb loaf
- 100ml or 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 125g or 1 cup plain flour
- 85g or 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp flourless oil, I use sunflower
- 2 medium roasted bananas, mashed
- 75g or 1/3 cup Lotus caramelised spread
- 50 g or 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (optional)
- glaze: icing sugar and water, or 1 tbsp biscoff spread, 3 tbsp icing sugar and 1 tbsp water whisked til smooth
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4
– Halve the bananas lengthways and roast for 20-30 minutes. Mash and cool.
– Line or grease a 2 lb loaf tin
– Add the lemon juice to the oat milk and set aside.
– Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar.
– Add the bananas, caramelised spread and oil to the oat milk mix. Stir well
– Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix until all the ingredients are well combined. Add the chopped chocolate (if using) and gently stir to make sure they’re evenly distributed.
– Fill the loaf tin with the mix.
– Bake for 40-50 minutes, until golden and a knife comes out clean.
– Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
– Drizzle with a simple water icing.