- 200g red lentils
- 1/4tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp roasted curry spices (or garam masala)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large dried Kashmiri chilli, finely chopped (or 2 small dried chillies)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
– Rinse the lentils.
– Cover with double the amount of water.
– Add the ginger and turmeric.
– Bring to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the lentils are soft and squishy. (Be sure to skim the scum off the top of the pan during the simmering.)
– Stir in the curry powder.
– Meanwhile heat the oil in a small pan. Add the garlic, chilli and cumin seeds. Cook until fragrant.
– Pour over the lentils and stir in.