Next up in the recipes from cupboard odds and ends and these stunningly delicious popcorn cereal bars.
Big S and I have been on a mission to organise our larder. It’s quite an ongoing project but we’re going from a chaotic cupboard stuffed full to the seams to beautifully tidy pantry full of stacked glass jars and neat baskets of packages. It’s so rewarding! I keep going and opening the doors and admiring our work.
In organising we’ve come across so many odds and ends and multiple packs, they all had to be put to good use. The little bag of popcorn we came across made me think of those Pret popcorn bars. Do they still exist? By no means food allergy friendly, they were quite tasty. Then I found some oats and the dregs of a box of cornflakes. These seemed to make a coherent combination.
On testing it’s actually a stunning combo – toasty oats for a flapjack feel, cornflakes for the cereal taste and texture and popcorn for salty, sweet chewy hits. These bars have been declared delicious and already made twice! I urge you to make a batch for the week ahead – you’ll have a very happy family/friends 😀
Popcorn Cereal Bars
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, peanut-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 8-10 big bars, 16-20 small bites
50g oats, toasted
80g caster sugar
120g golden syrup
60g Biscoff spread
85g dairy-free dark chocolate
- Spread the oats onto a baking sheet and bake in a medium hot oven (180 degrees centigrade) for 15 minutes until toasty
- Melt together the sugar, syrup and Biscoff spread until you have a thick smooth mixture. Stir in 15g of the chocolate.
- Stir in the oats, cornflakes and popcorn mix until everything is coated in the rich caramel sauce
- Press into a loaf tin lined with parchment. I used a 2lb loaf tin which is perfect for the amount quoted about. If you want to make more, double the quantities and use a standard square baking tin.
- Place in the fridge or a cool place to set.
- Melt the remaining 70g chocolate and drizzle over, leave to set.
- Cut into bars or squares.