I initially had visions of rolling chocolate truffles in crushed up candy canes but sadly the canes were a bit too soft and sticky once crushed and it didn’t work out. Then this idea popped into my mind – dark, cocoa rich cookies dipped in snowy white chocolate and then sprinkled with the crushed up candy canes. It turns out that it was a great idea – the flavours really work – bitter, sweet, smooth with crunchy bits that have a hint of peppermint. A bit like an after eight mint in cookie form! These could now be one of my favourite festive after dinner treats.
Chocolate and Candy Cane Biscuits
- 115g or 1 cup of plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsps cornflour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of baking powder
- 55g or 1/4 cup hard vegetable fat
- 55g or 1/4 cup dairy-free margarine
- 100g or 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1-2 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 30g dairy-free white chocolate
- 1-2 candy canes, crushed and/or Christmas themed decorations
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, cornflour, salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl whisk together the fat, margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the milk and whisk again.
- Add the flour mix and carefully combine
- Roll out and cut out shapes with cookie cutters, small rectangles work well.
- Place on a lined baking sheet and bake at 180 degrees for 10 minutes
- Cool on the sheet before moving to a wire rack.
- Melt the white chocolate over a bain-marie and half dip each cookie into the melted chocolate
- Place back onto the lined baking sheet, sprinkle with decorations or crushed up candy canes and leave to set