Yet more salads! I’ve always had a fondness of potato salad that I can’t really explain – gloopy cold potatoes anyone? This version can be easily made either dairy and egg free or with usual mayo and is inspired by the Moosewood cookbook. It really is a class above – tangy, unctuous and flavoursome.
Potato Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, vegetarian and vegan – or made with normal mayo, yogurt and horseradish, then it’s vegetarian and nut-free)
enough for 4
- 500g new potatoes
- 4-6 tbsps egg-free mayonnaise – Plamil or Mayola(or use regular mayo if you can tolerate eggs)
- 3 tbsps dairy-free yogurt (plain yogurt if not dairy-free)
- 2-3 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard powder (or leave out if can’t tolerate)
- 1 tsp grated horseradish (1 tbsp horseradish sauce if ok with dairy – I have yet to find dairy-free horseradish sauce)
- 3 gerkins, chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 a red pepper, small dice
- handful of chopped parsley
- toasted sunflower seeds (optional)
– Half the potatoes and boil for 20 minutes or until cooked
– Drain and place in a bowl. Mix together the mustard powder, vinegar and salt. Pour over the hot potatoes and let cool.
– Mix together the mayo, yogurt and horseradish. Stir through the potatoes, along with the spring onions, peppers, gerkins and parsley.
– Spoon into a serving bowl and decorate with toasted seeds (if liked)
– Pour over the vinegar mix.