The inspiration for this recipe came from my lovely fellow blogger and friend Tiny Kitchen Stories, and her amazing sounding (and indeed award winning) salsa. The real revelation for me about this recipe is that it can sit in your fridge for you to dip in and out of for 6 months, while still tasting fresh and vibrant. So handy to have in. Some of her ingredients were impossible for me to find in my local supermarkets, so here’s my adulterated version – still pretty good and oh so tempting sitting there in the fridge – nowhere near as lovely as the original I’m sure….
Warning – it’s super-spicy and dangerously addictive!
Fridge Salsa (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
make 1 big bowlful!
- 1/4 white onion, chopped
- 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1/2 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-2 fresh chillis (go as fiery as you dare)
- 1 tin premium chopped tomatoes (no horrid, watery basic version here!)
- big squeeze of lemon juice
- big handful coriander or parsley, to serve
– In a blender, whizz up the vinegar, chopped onion, garlic, oregano and salt, until well blended.
– Add the chillis (deseeded if you like it less spicy) and pulse until they are also well chopped up.
– Add the tinned tomatoes and pulse.
– Pour into a serving bowl and taste. Add lemon if desired and sprinkle on the freshly chopped parsley or coriander.
– Apparently keeps in the fridge (minus the fresh herbs) for up to six months – we’ll be lucky if it’s in there for a week!