In my opinion there is never the wrong time for a super chocolatey brownie, even at Christmas time when nearly everything is spiced with ginger and cinnamon. Surely an overindulgent chocolate treat always hits the spot? Ok, the Christmas tree aspect of these brownies may be a bit of a gimmick but they’re super cute and add to the festive cheer.
I’d say these are knock out brownies, they’re jam packed full of three types of chocolate plus cocoa powder which gives a deep, rich flavour and a super fudgey texture. Some egg-free brownies can miss the mark on the dense fudge like texture, but that is certainly not the case here. Look at that rich truffle-like texture in the photo below to get an idea of the texture you’ll end up with.
By all means, serve traditional squares with no added adornment. As you can see from he picture below, they make pretty spectacular brownies.
Triple Chocolate Christmas Tree Brownies
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, can be soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 12 good sized brownies
4 tbsp cocoa powder
150g self-raising flour
110g caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 tbsp flavourless oil, I use sunflower
250ml dairy-free milk
100g dairy-free dark chocolate, melted
40g white chocolate chips
40g ‘creamy’ chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade. Line a brownie tin with parchment
- In a bowl, mix together the cocoa, self-raising flour, caster sugar and salt.
- Pour in the oil, milk and vanilla and mix to form a smooth batter
- Stir in the melted chocolate (this will make the batter much stiffer). Add half the white chocolate and ‘creamy’ chocolate chips to the batter and stir through.
- Transfer to the lined brownie tin and level off.
- Sprinkle over the remaining chocolate chips
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. It should be a bit gooey looking in the middle. Cool fully in the tin before cutting into portions. For extra fudge texture, place int he fridge before cutting and eating.
- For Christmas Trees, cut into triangles. Cut a candy cane into sections and use as a trunk. Decorate with a squiggle of water icing and some Christmas themed decoration.