Have you ever tried my Devil’s Food cake aka the best chocolate cake in the world? If you haven’t you are seriously missing out, it is so delicious that everyone asks for more! It’s deep, dark and chocolatey with an out of this world silky yet fudgy icing. Honestly, it’s totally divine 🙂
Anyway, these cupcakes are inspired by that cake and also by a fond childhood memory. We didn’t often have shop bought cakes at home, but sometimes I’d go to a friend’s house and they would serve up these little shop bought chocolate cupcakes with this fudgy, set icing. The kind of icing that was way nicer than the cake and also when you peeled off the liner, you were left with a zigzag imprint in the edge of the icing. There was something really pleasing about that! For some bizarre reason I was thinking about that icing the other day and how it would be really convenient for when you need to transport cupcakes; buttercream is just a nightmare if you’re putting the cakes in a box to take elsewhere. I’d always wondered how to make that icing and then it came to me – my wonderful Devil’s Food Icing sets beautifully and would be pretty awesome on a cupcake. Who’s going to say no to a rich chocolate cupcakes topped with out of this world fudgy icing?
So here they are, little Devil’s food Cupcakes ready for cake day, the first one of the school term, so I do hope they go down a storm. I so miss my weekly baking for Little S’s class that I’ve gone to town and made cinnamon swirl buns too. Hopefully that’ll keep everyone happy 🙂
Devils Food Chocolate Cupcakes
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
150g self-raising flour
100g caster sugar
50g cocoa powder
200ml sunflower oil
150ml dairy-free milk
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/Gas Mark 5
- Mix together the dairy-free milk, lemon juice, vanilla and oil. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Stir in the sugar.
- Add the bicarb to the wet ingredients and stir.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix to thoroughly combine.
- 2/3 rds fill the cupcake cases and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Devils Food Icing
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, can be soya-free, vegetarian and vegan)
enough to cover 12 cupcakes
2 tbsp dairy-free spread
1/2 tbsp dairy-free milk
1/2 tbsp golden syrup or maple syrup
1/4 cup icing sugar
50g dairy-free dark chocolate
- Melt together the icing ingredients and simmer for a few minutes until thick and glossy. Let cool.
- Spread over the cupcakes and leave to set.