Who doesn’t love a bowl of fries? The ultimate junk food with their fried, crispy, savoury moreish-ness.
This healthier oven-cooked version gives perfect results – crispy and light with only a tiny amount of oil. Add some salt and pepper and they’re ready with little fuss, in no time at all. Whilst it may seem a faff to soak and thoroughly dry the potato batons prior to cooking, it’s quite essential if you want a perfect fluffy inside and crisp outer. Never need your table be disgraced by soggy frozen chips again!
Salt and Pepper Oven Fries (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
Serves 2, multiply as necessary
- 2 medium to large potatoes
- 1 tsp oil of choice
- Salt and pepper
– Leaving the skin in, chop the potatoes into chip sized batons.
– Soak in cold water for at least half an hour.
– Thoroughly pat dry
– Toss with the oil and seasoning
– Scatter on a baking sheet in a single layer, use more than one baking sheet if you have lots of fries
– Bake for 30-40 minutes at 220 degrees centigrade/Gas Mark 6, tossing once or twice during the cooking