Courgette (Zucchini) and Pea Soup

This is a fabulous, green and vibrant soup – perfect if you have a couple of courgettes hanging about and not much else. There have been more nasty viruses going round in our house, so an injection of good green vegetables and bundles of vitamins was almost a necessity.

I’ll come clean – this is the basis of my non-winning entry into the World Watercress Soup Championships that I entered back in May. I think it’s a blinding soup but the judges didn’t agree – maybe it’s not traditional enough?!

D, on the other hand ended up with a ‘highly commended’ runner up in the speciality section (2nd out of 47 entries). Sophie Grigson even made a special point of mentioning his fantastic balance of flavours and spices. I have to admit, I was a bit gutted at the time -after-all, cooking is my ‘thing’, and she thought nothing of my attempt! But what an achievement and definitely a soup worth making…. maybe I’ll get him to write a guest post this week….. 🙂

Garnish with a drizzle of vegetarian worcestershire sauce, a little extra virgin olive oil and/or a pile of grated parmesan/vegan “sprinkly cheese” (as we call it!)

Courgette and Pea Soup (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)

serves 3-4

• good splash of extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 courgettes, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • small bunch of basil
  • 500ml vegetarian stock
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • seasoning

– Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the courgettes and cook until soft and starting to turn golden.

– Add the garlic and basil and cook out.

– Pour in the stock and simmer for 10 minutes.

– Add the frozen peas and cook for a further 5 minutes.

– Blitz in a liquidizer until smooth and bright green.

– Check the seasoning.

– Serve drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and a grind of black pepper.

Silly judges, that soup looks brilliant! Hope it infuses you all with goodness and speeds recovery 🙂

Thank you! Your comments always make my day a happier one 🙂
      She’s on the mend but not back at school yet..

Yay! Sending healing vibes your way 😉

2. Wow, Sophie Grigson. Haven’t heard that name for a while! I’m definitely going to make this soup. It looks delicious and SO healthy!

I know, where did she go to… well, I guess the answer is judging small cookery competitions!!! Although apparently she’s got a new book coming out so you’ll probably suddenly see her everywhere!

You can also add a bag of watercress to the soup in the last couple of minutes before blending – makes it even healthier 🙂

1. I always remember her funny earrings. Thanks for the watercress tip–this looks right on my new diet! 🙂

3. livliveslife says:

Looks great! I can’t believe it didn’t win!

I really enjoy reading your blog, and I have nominated you for both the Versatile Blogger Award and the One Lovely Blog award. Please go to my site to check out the details! http://livliveslife.wordpress.com/2012/06/25/i-owe-you/

P.S. Thanks again for the nominations!

Thank you so much!

4. I’ve been reading your blog for just a short time now and you are an inspiration to people with allergies by showing that they can eat normal foods and they still look and I’m sure, taste wonderful. I have nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award and you can find all the info here: http://terriskitchenuk.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/and-the-oscar-goes-to/

Thank you so much… I’m so glad you are enjoying my blog and I’m most flattered with the very kind nomination. Thank you!

Yep it is certainly a very green soup 🙂

Courgettes certainly have to be treated well to taste delicious…. Not much worse than a watery badly cooked courgette!

Glad you liked the soup…. So happy you gave it a go. It’s v nice with a bag of watercress in the mix too