My excitement at getting to eat different shop bought lunches whilst at work has quickly faded. I’ve exhausted most nearby options and frankly it’s rather expensive. Homemade lunches are proving to be more interesting and much more satisfying.
Sandwich shops always sell a version of a flapjack, but I guarantee none will be as delicious as these homemade beauties. These are sweet but gooey and sticky, with no hint of dry sawdust texture (if you know what I mean). I wasn’t sure this cocoa and coconut version would work, but it really does, giving a hint of a ‘Bounty Bar’. I’m taking one to work everyday next week, and will actually look forward to my lunch for a change 🙂
Cocoa Coconut Flapjacks (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 24
- 200g dairy free spread (I use Pure soya or sunflower)
- 200g demerara sugar
- 200g golden syrup
- 400g oats
- 1/2 tsp salt (preferably fleur de sel)
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 3 tbsps cocoa powder
– Preheat oven to 180 degrees Centigrade
– Line a 30×20 cm (approx.) baking tray with foil.
– Mix together the oats, cocoa and desiccated coconut
– Melt together the dairy free spread, sugar, syrup and salt
– When the sugar has dissolved mix into the oats.
– Spread into the lined baking tray
– Bake for 15-20 mins until golden
– Cool well before cutting into bars/squares. Or freeze whole and cut when defrosted.
– (optional) Drizzle with melted dairy-free chocolate, before cutting into squares.
– Try not to eat too many!! Mind you there are worse things for you.
I miss flapjacks! These look so yummy!
oh they are, they really are! x
Whoaaaa…this recipe is definitely a keeper! They look amazing!
Thanks! They’re rather tasty too! X
That looks so delicious! Yummy!
It really is a great recipe! 🙂
Nice revamp on the site and chocolate and coconut together can never go wrong!
It was quite a lengthy process trying to update my ‘look’… Still kinda miss my banner though…. May have to get big S to draw a new one! X