We used to often go to a fabulous vegetarian restaurant in Brixton, South London called Peter Peppers (sadly now closed) where they served gorgeous Mediterranean vegetarian food. Their Provençal fries were always a highlight of the meal – crisp, herby and oh so addictive. This is my version….. healthy, baked fries doused with plenty of herbes de provence and a sprinkle of garlic powder. I defy anyone to not love these!
Provencal Fries (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 3-4 medium to large red skinned potatoes, cut into chip shapes
- 1-2 tbsps olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tbsps herbes de provence
– Cut the potatoes into chip shaped sticks, leaving the skin on
– Soak in cold water until needed
– Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Centigrade/ Gas Mark 6
– Throughly dry the potatoes (this is important)
– Place the potato sticks into a bowl and drizzle with the olive oil. Mix well.
– Sprinkle on the seasoning and thoroughly combine.
– Turn onto a baking tray.
– Roast for 30-40 minutes, turning them every 10 minutes or so.
– Serve once cooked through and thoroughly browned.