Apparently it’s a bumper year for blackberries in the UK, and if our garden is anything to go by, we’ll have blackberries coming out of our ears in the next few weeks! Having just returned from holiday the brambles in the garden were weighed down by beautiful, if slightly over-ripe berries. This called for an immediate recipe solution! This delicate blackberry and vanilla syrup is a fantastic way of using up berries and results in a smooth, fragrant, only slightly sweet syrup which works beautifully when mixed with champagne for a ‘kir royale’, or equally well with sparkling water or lemonade.
Blackberry and Vanilla Syrup (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes one 750ml bottle
- 450g fresh blackberries
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract
– Thoroughly wash the blackberries
– Blend to a puree, then sieve to remove any pips
– Combine the puree with the sugar and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 3 minutes.
– Pour into a sterilised bottle and keep in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
– To use, dilute 1 part to 4 of champagne, water or lemonade.