Homemade Egg-free Gnocchi

Like most families, we eat a lot of pasta, so I decided to mix things up a bit with some home-made gnocchi. Lots of recipes seem to include egg, but this one is simply potato and flour. The resulting dumpling is light and needs to be treated with care, but the texture is not at all stodgy and works wonderfully with a rich tomato sauce.

Homemade Egg-free Gnocchi (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan – gluten-free if use gluten-free flour)

20130528-133340.jpg

Serves 2

• 2 baking Potatoes
  • 1-2 tbsp Flour

– Bake the potato and then mash or rice the insides ( you want the potato to be as dry as possible)
– Beat in the flour, and bring together to a soft dough
– Split into four pieces and roll each into a long sausage shape
– Cut into 2cm length pieces and press a fork onto each to give a lovely gnocchi shape
– Leave to dry
– Bring a pan of salted water to a rolling boil
– Add a few gnocchi and cook briefly until they rise to the top (it takes 30 seconds max)
– Drain on kitchen paper
– Serve topped with your favourite sauce

20130528-133301.jpg20130528-133320.jpg

1. Penniless Veggie says:

I’m really impressed, and I love gnocchi! Pinning this for future reference.

2. Ani says:

Wow that looks a lot less daunting that I imagined making gnocchi would be! I want to try with sweet potatoes πŸ™‚ think it would work?

I’m not sure about sweet potatoes as they contain more moisture, so you’d definitely need more flour – I guess just add flour by eye until you have quite a dry dough. Let me know how they turn out πŸ™‚

3. Poppy says:

Your gnocchi look very professional and pretty! I’m baffled as to how little flour you used though, I needed way more than that when I made gnocchi! πŸ˜€

Maybe it depends on the type of potato?

1. Poppy says:

Yes I think so as the starch content varies and probably the cooking method too…I boiled my pots unpeeled but they still probably absorbed some water through the skins…I will bake next time and see if I need less flour πŸ˜€

4. sammysfood says:

Just found your blog, and I must say, I love it! Great recipes and I’ve already bookmarked about 10 of them!

Aww thanks πŸ™‚

5. Carolina says:

I have to try this! I found gnocchi recently and ever since I have been trying a variety of recipes I see with it, trying to find what is the best way of having it! πŸ™‚

It’s a nice change from pasta, isn’t it?

1. Carolina says:

It is a great change! I don’t care much for ordinary pasta, but this little ones are delicious! Just had them last night for dinner! πŸ™‚

They’re surprisingly light and different aren’t they πŸ™‚

3. Carolina says: