I think it’s the sudden chill in the air that has made us want to turn up the heat in our meals. Besides, D is a sucker for anything Mexican and a bit spicy. Warning though, this recipe is HOT, not one for the kids unless they have a more adventurous palate than mine do! You could use the basic adobo sauce in a number of ways, it worked well with these mushrooms, one vegetable that I wouldn’t always serve as part of a Mexican meal, so it’s nice to include them.
Mushrooms in Adobo Sauce (dairy-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 4-6 dried chipotle peppers
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 1/2 jar tomato passata
- 500g button mushrooms
– Soak the chillies in boiling water until softened. Cut off the stalks and remove as many seeds as possible.
– In a blender, whizz together the chillies, onion, garlic, thyme, oregano and water until well blended
– Heat the oil in a sauce pan, then add the chilli puree and sauce for a couple of minutes
– Add the tomato puree, vinegars and sugar and continue cooking.
– Simmer for 10-15 minutes until thickened.
– Add the passata and continue to cook.
– Add about 500g button mushroom to the sauce and cook for about 15 minutes.
– Serve with rice, refried beans and favourite Mexican salsas.
MMMMMMM,!!!A very spiced tomato mushrooms sauce, that I love,!!!x
It’s certainly spicy, but also nicey! 🙂
ooh yes, indeed! 🙂 xxx
I do need to find out chipotle peppers in Lisbon. Love your sauce!