What do you think of chickpeas (are they called garbanzo beans in the USA)? I’m a bit unsure – they’re great whizzed up, but so often I find them dry and pasty. So when I started experimenting with chickpea salad ideas I really, really didn’t think I’d like any of the end results. How wrong I was – left to marinade in a flavourful, zesty dressing, the chickpea can become a pulse of note!
Terribly simple to make, but rather stunning to look at, this salad has converted me! Next step, to find a cooked chickpea recipe that also delights my taste buds!
Chickpea Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red chilli, finely chopped (or a whole one if you like a bit more heat)
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 sprig mint, roughly chopped
- 1 sprig basil, also roughly chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- (If you eat dairy, some feta would be nice crumbled over the top)
– Whisk together the lemon, oil and salt. Taste and set aside.
– Combine all the other ingredients.