It may be an annoyance , a bit scary and frankly a bit like living through a disaster movie, but there are also positives we need to focus on to stop feeling overwhelmed by the situation. It’s an enforced opportunity to take a pause, to reconnect as a family and focus on the simpler things in life: I’m really enjoying seeing my mum and brother on ‘Houseparty’ a few times each day, being creative with the food and resources we have in the house and trying to make our food as exciting as possible.
This chocolate braid is a fabulous recipe – it’s quick and easy but looks impressive and tastes totally luxurious. It would make a very indulgent breakfast if you’re missing pain au chocolat, a seriously good pudding with cream or ice cream, or just a naughty work from home snack!
Decadent Chocolate Braid
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
1/2 pack of puff pastry, ready rolled is easiest as it’s nice an rectangular!
1/3 cup caster sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp dairy-free margarine
50g dairy-free chocolate, finely chopped [optional]
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Centigrade and line a baking sheet with baking paper
- Mix together the caster sugar, margarine, cocoa powder to form a soft paste. Set aside.
- Roll or unfold the pastry. Imagine it is 3 columns and spread the chocolate paste over the middle column leaving a little gap at each end. Sprinkle over the chopped chocolate
- Cut the edge columns with diagonal slices, 1cm apart the whole way down. This should mean you get to remove a triangle at the top.
- Fold over the top flap of pastry and then alternating sides, cross over a pastry ribbon from each side until you get to the bottom
- Brush with dairy free milk and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and puffed up
- Cool and then dust liberally with icing sugar