Woo hoo, it’s December! After the longest year in living memory we’re finally getting to the fun end bit. I’m going to try and add some extra cheer to this festive season (and my, we need some extra cheer this year!) with an exciting ‘12 days of Blogmas’ and a whole bunch of new delicious festive recipes.
There is something so exciting about all the baking opportunities in the lead up to Christmas – I just love making sparkly tasty treats and beautifully packaged homemade gifts. Well, who doesn’t like some extra sparkle and glitter?
Like lots of people, we’ve decided to do Christmas big time this year, all whilst remaining in our little family bubble. That means less large family gatherings and more Christmas themed food, fun games and decorating big time!!
I’m kicking off Day 1 of ‘Blogmas’ with these delightful ginger cream yo-yo biscuits. Heavily spiced crumbly biscuits sandwiches together with a lemon scented cheesecake cream. What’s not to like with that combination? These are a perfect start to December, ideally enjoyed with a steaming hot drink and sitting by a roaring open fire.
Ginger Cream Yo-yo Biscuits
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 12 sandwich biscuits
150g dairy-free margarine
65g soft brown sugar
2 tsp ground ginger
pinch of salt
55g custard powder or cornflour
175g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas mark 4
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment
- Beat together the margarine, sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flours, spice and salt to form a very soft, but not sticky dough.
- Make large marble sized balls and place on the baking sheet (try to make an even number). Flatten with the back of a fork.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes
- Cool on the baking sheet for a couple of minutes before moving to a wire rack.
- Once completely cool, sandwich together with the cream.
Lemon Cheesecake Cream
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, can be soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
25g dairy-free cream cheese
40g dairy-free margarine
200g icing sugar
zest of 1/2 a lemon
1 tsp lemon juice