I love an easy pastry, one of those recipes that throw a few ingredients together and end up with a superb tasty sweet treat that everyone wows over. These easy cinnamon bun twists are just that, taking only a few minutes and little skill to end up with something that’s sure to get plenty of compliments. After all, who doesn’t love the sweet combination of spiced sugar with flaky crisp pastry?
These little puff pastry twists filled with a sugar and cinnamon mixture, akin to the filling of a cinnamon bun make a drool-worthy delicious pastry. Serve them as a quick homemade easy breakfast cinnamon roll, a perfect addition to coffee time or as a dessert with a pile of berries and some cream or ice cream.
The twisting may make these pastries look fancy but it’s terribly easy – just hold both ends and twist each away from each other until you have a loose ringlet of dough. Once baked they’ll puff up into a delightful twist of deliciousness. You don’t need to add the icing but i do think it makes them seem a bit more like a cinnamon bun, and who doesn’t love a little drizzle of icing?
Easy Cinnamon Bun Twists
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
1 pack ready make puff pastry (ready rolled is easiest as you already have the required rectangle)
2 tbsp dairy-free margarine
3 tbsp caster sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp icing sugar to dust the pastries before baking
water icing (3tbsp icing sugar mixed with 1-2 tsp water)
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees centigrade and line a baking sheet with non-stick parchment
- Roll out the puff pastry and spread half with the margarine, sprinkle over the sugar and cinnamon
- Fold over and cut into 8-10 stops with the one end being held together where the join is (it’s easiest to use a pizza roller)
- Twist each strip into a pastry ringlet and place on the lined baking sheet. Dust with the 1tbsp icing sugar
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Cool and then drizzle with the water icing.