With Halloween approaching I had to feature a spooky recipe. Is it just me, or does everyone feel more inspired when festivities are approaching? I just get so excited about all the things I can cook which are related to the celebration!
I saw some super cute Boo-gasse (Fougasse in a spooky shape) online and just had to make my own version. Not only are they super cute and appropriate for Halloween but I also love Fougasse, the herby salty leaf shaped loaves are the perfect starter with an array of dips and antipasti.
(dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, soya-free, vegetarian, vegan)
makes 4 spooky shapes
500g/1lb 2oz strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
7g fine salt
7g instant yeast
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
350ml/12fl oz warm water
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp dried herbes de Provence
polenta, for dusting
1 tsp dried oregano
flakey sea salt
1. Line two large baking sheets with baking parchment.
2. Put the flour, salt and yeast into a bowl, ideally using a KitchenAid type machine. Add the olive oil and three-quarters of the water. If it looks dry add more of the water and mix until a smooth dough. Add the rosemary, thyme and Herbes de Provence and mix until the herbs are evenly distributed.
3. Cover and leave to rise until at least doubled in size – about an hour.
4. Mix together flour and polenta and heavily dust the work surface. Carefully tip out the dough. Divide the dough into quarters.
5. Press out each piece into a rectangle and lift onto the prepared baking sheets. Using a pizza cutter make little cuts to form the features of the shapes and then stretch out with your fingers.
6. Place the baking sheets inside large plastic bags and leave to prove in a warm place for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7.
7. Brush the risen loaves with olive and oil and sprinkle over the oregano and flakey salt and bake for 15–20 minutes, or until the fougasse sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Remove from the oven and eat whilst warm.