I don’t think much feels as worthy and good for you as a bowl of homemade lentil soup, although with its warming cumin, coriander and chilli maybe it’s suited more to winter than today’s spring conditions. We’ve got an event at school tonight, so cooking the soup now will make a lovely, comforting meal to return to – hopefully not too late, surely a presentation can’t go on for that long!
Goodness in a Bowl (vegetarian, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, vegan)
- 1 onion and 1 shallot (or 2 onions), chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red chilli (leave out if you don’t like spice), finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 red peppers
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 tbsps tomato puree
- 1 cup red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
– Sweat off the onions, carrots, peppers, chilli and celery.
– When nicely softened add the spices and tomato puree.
– Cook out
– Add the vegetable stock.
– Simmer for 20 minutes. Purée with a hand-held blender or in a liquidizer.