This is a stone-cold classic French vinaigrette (I did learn the recipe at Le Cordon Bleu after all) and it will bring most salads to life. It manages to achieve a thick and well combined consistency when whisked with the mustard. The secret is the quantities: always 1 vinegar to 3 oil, and to use sunflower oil as well as extra virgin olive oil to lighten the taste. The pinch of sugar is essential too. Multiply the recipe as required.
I guarantee you will never again buy a substandard expensive ready-made salad dressing if you use this recipe.
Shallot and Mustard Dressing/Vinaigrette (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes enough to dress a salad for 2-3
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- a tiny pinch of sugar
– In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, mustard, sugar, seasoning and shallot.
– Whisk in the oil to create a smooth dressing. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
– Perfect as a dressing for Veggie Salade Niçoise