Almost a McVities HobNob, but not quite! By making the classic McVities Hobnob type cookie at home you can guarantee that even the chocolate version is free of milk. These slightly sweet, crunchy, oaty biscuits are an absolute British classic. The oats might even convince you that they’re almost healthy!
Homemade HobNots (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan – soya-free too if you skip the chocolate coating)
- 1 cup dairy-free spread
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- (if coating in chocolate – 100g dairy-free dark chocolate)
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade/Gas Mark 4
– Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment
– Mix together the oats, flour, sugar and salt.
– In a small saucepan melt the dairy-free spread and stir in the syrup.
– Mix together the bicarbonate of soda and boiling water and pour into the melted spread mixture.
– Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix to form a very sticky dough.
– Roll into pingpong ball sized balls and then flatten slightly on the baking sheet. make sure you leave plenty of space between each ball as they will spread a lot whilst baking.
– Bake for 12 minutes or until nicely golden.
– Cool on a wire rack.
– If coating in the chocolate: melt the chocolate in a bain marie or microwave, then spread on top of each cookie. Leave to set.