I know I said I wouldn’t make any cake for a while, but these cupcakes were made for D’s birthday. This idea came from having to use up some of the divine passionfruit cream from my passionfruit yoyos recipe. It’s a combination of chocolate chip and banana cupcakes with that delectable fruity cream on top, and it’s a total winner.
Banana and Chocolate Cupcakes (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 12 cupcakes
- 2/3 cup pureed banana (about 2 small-medium bananas)
- 11/4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup oat milk (I used Oatly)
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 45g chopped dairy-free chocolate (optional)
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/Gas mark 4
– Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
– Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt.
– In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, oat milk, pureed banana and vanilla.
– Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold gently.
– Sprinkle on the chopped chocolate (if using) and stir gently with the end of a spoon.
– 2/3 fill cupcake cases and bake for approx. 20 minutes until a knife comes out clean
– Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
Passionfruit Cream (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1/4 cup dairy-free spread
- 1 tbsp vegetable fat
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 3 passionfruit, pulp sieved
– Whisk together the spread and vegetable fat until light and fluffy.
– Whisk in alternate amounts of icing sugar and passionfruit pulp until it is all incorporated.