Chocolate Chip Shortbread

I haven’t made shortbread for a while, but there’s something so delicate and moreish about a good shortbread, I have been feeling the need to make more. Here’s a reincarnation of my scrummy shortbread, this time with the addition of dark chocolate chips.

These are perfect with any number of desserts, as a snack or with a cup of freshly-brewed coffee.

Chocolate Chip Shortbread (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)

makes about 20 shortbread

• 225g plain flour
  • 75g golden caster sugar
  • 150g dairy-free margarine (I used Pure sunflower)
  • 1 vanilla pod (this time I left it out as didn’t have one, but it’s much nicer with)
  • 50g dairy-free chocolate chips
  • 50g granulated sugar, to sprinkle

– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade

– Line a baking sheet with parchment

– Sift the flour into a bowl and stir in the sugar and vanilla

– Add the dairy-free spread and rub in with fingers. Stir in the chocolate chips.

– Once it starts to combine, bring together to form a soft dough.

– On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1cm thickness.

– Cut into even sized shapes – rectangles look rather elegant

– Place on the lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Then turn the baking sheet round and bake for another 10 minutes.

– Once the shortbread is golden brown remove from oven. Leaving it on the baking sheet, dust with the granulated sugar.

– Cool on the baking sheet.

1. Those look hard to resist!

2. These look totally delicious! I must try and make some biscuits sometime.

try these, they’re so easy and totally scrummy!

3. amberwild says:

Can you use granulated sugar instead of caster sugar? And is a vanilla pod just another name for vanilla bean? Can you tell I’m not British? 🙂

Absolutely! Although I tend to think that granulated is a little sweeter (something to do with the size of the granules) so you may want to put in a tiny bit less sugar, or you could whizz up some granulated in a food processor to make it finer. And yes, a vanilla pod is a vanilla bean 🙂

These are totally moreish! Yummy Lucy!

5. ellebakes says: