I haven’t made shortbread for a while, but there’s something so delicate and moreish about a good shortbread, I have been feeling the need to make more. Here’s a reincarnation of my scrummy shortbread, this time with the addition of dark chocolate chips.
These are perfect with any number of desserts, as a snack or with a cup of freshly-brewed coffee.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 20 shortbread
- 225g plain flour
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 150g dairy-free margarine (I used Pure sunflower)
- 1 vanilla pod (this time I left it out as didn’t have one, but it’s much nicer with)
- 50g dairy-free chocolate chips
- 50g granulated sugar, to sprinkle
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade
– Line a baking sheet with parchment
– Sift the flour into a bowl and stir in the sugar and vanilla
– Add the dairy-free spread and rub in with fingers. Stir in the chocolate chips.
– Once it starts to combine, bring together to form a soft dough.
– On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1cm thickness.
– Cut into even sized shapes – rectangles look rather elegant
– Place on the lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Then turn the baking sheet round and bake for another 10 minutes.
– Once the shortbread is golden brown remove from oven. Leaving it on the baking sheet, dust with the granulated sugar.
– Cool on the baking sheet.
Those look hard to resist!
they are! x
These look totally delicious! I must try and make some biscuits sometime.
try these, they’re so easy and totally scrummy!
Can you use granulated sugar instead of caster sugar? And is a vanilla pod just another name for vanilla bean? Can you tell I’m not British? 🙂
Absolutely! Although I tend to think that granulated is a little sweeter (something to do with the size of the granules) so you may want to put in a tiny bit less sugar, or you could whizz up some granulated in a food processor to make it finer. And yes, a vanilla pod is a vanilla bean 🙂
These are totally moreish! Yummy Lucy!
These look SO yum! I just bought some vanilla beans too 😀
Perfect timing! 🙂
looks delicious !
They are! 🙂