I haven’t made shortbread for a while, but there’s something so delicate and moreish about a good shortbread, I have been feeling the need to make more. Here’s a reincarnation of my scrummy shortbread, this time with the addition of dark chocolate chips.
These are perfect with any number of desserts, as a snack or with a cup of freshly-brewed coffee.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes about 20 shortbread
- 225g plain flour
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 150g dairy-free margarine (I used Pure sunflower)
- 1 vanilla pod (this time I left it out as didn’t have one, but it’s much nicer with)
- 50g dairy-free chocolate chips
- 50g granulated sugar, to sprinkle
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade
– Line a baking sheet with parchment
– Sift the flour into a bowl and stir in the sugar and vanilla
– Add the dairy-free spread and rub in with fingers. Stir in the chocolate chips.
– Once it starts to combine, bring together to form a soft dough.
– On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1cm thickness.
– Cut into even sized shapes – rectangles look rather elegant
– Place on the lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Then turn the baking sheet round and bake for another 10 minutes.
– Once the shortbread is golden brown remove from oven. Leaving it on the baking sheet, dust with the granulated sugar.
– Cool on the baking sheet.