Homemade Chocolate Spread

Little S has developed a taste for Plamil dairy-free chocolate spread and has it on her toast every morning over anything else. Problem is it’s not always that easy to find, and we can’t buy any other brand due to the presence of dairy or nuts. One local shop sometimes has it, otherwise it’s a 40 minute drive to the next nearest stockist. The last few weeks have been so busy that I haven’t managed to stock up the cupboards… so it’s another thing I thought I’d try and recreate myself.

This recipe works a treat – it may not keep as long as a commercial version but it tastes even better and is far less oily. Perfect on bread/toast, as a sweet dip or even an icing/ice cream topping.

Chocolate Spread (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)

makes 1 jar

• 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup caster sugar
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2/3rds cup dairy-free chocolate, chopped
  • 2/3rds cup dairy-free spread

– In a saucepan, melt together the water, sugar, cocoa and salt.
– Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat
– Whisk in the vanilla, chocolate and spread until silky and lump free
– Pour into a sterilised jar and cover with cling film touching the top of the chocolate mix (this prevents a skin forming)
– Leave to cool entirely, then remove the cling film
– Keep in the fridge and use within 2 weeks.

1. livliveslife says:

Yum. It might have been dangerous for me to see this post. 😉

2. Good for S that you found a nice recipe! I’m a dietician, specialized in allergies, and I know how hard it is to find food that is allowed AND tasty… Your kids are lucky to have such a creative mom 😉

What a lovely comment 🙂 I think it’s so important for those with restricted diets to eat lovely food too (that everyone enjoys and wants to eat)

A beautiful & appetizing creation that I so much love & want to make too! 😉 Yummy! Excellent as a special food gift, all wrapped up!

That’s a great idea! I haven’t done my Christmas shopping yet, but now I’m not so stressed about it…. Perhaps a hamper of homemade treats could be the solution! 🙂

I would receive thelm right away! Yummy! That is what I do all the time & my friends & family don’t want anything else!

4. ellebakes says:

that looks SO good!! love the idea as a gift too!

It’s so yummy and versatile…. I’m not going back to store bought!