Welsh Cakes

For March 1st and St David’s Day what could be more appropriate than Welsh cakes! These delightful little griddle scones/cakes are a traditional delicacy in Wales – served for tea with a sprinkle of caster sugar, or topped with butter and/or jam. Normally they’re very buttery but the transition to dairy-free spread is not really noticeable, with the sultanas and mixed spice singing out instead.

Anything Welsh always makes me think of my wonderful Great Aunt – she was a very inspiring Welsh lady who had a fantastic attitude to life and lived to the grand old age of 99 – so Aunty Gwen, these are for you. Also for D – Happy St David’s Day.

Welsh Cakes (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)

makes 8-12

• 1 cup of plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup dairy-free spread
  • 1/4 cup of caster sugar
  • 1/4 cup sultanas
  • 1/2 tsp mixed spice
  • 3 tbsps oat milk
  • caster sugar, to sprinkle

– Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and spice into a bowl.

– Rub in the spread until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs

– Stir in the sugar and sultanas.

– Add the oat milk and mix to form a slightly sticky dough.

– Roll out on a floured board and cut out shaped with a cookie cutter – circles are the traditional shape but any would be fine.

– Heat a dry non-stick frying pan (or any frying pan wiped with a smear of spread)

– When hot add the cakes and dry fry/griddle for 2-3 minutes on either side until golden.

– Sprinkle with caster sugar and serve.

– To reheat warm in an oven or microwave

1. livliveslife says:

When I was in the UK I so badly wanted to try Welsh cakes, but never found some without eggs! I’m excited to try these out!

I hope you do try, they’re rather yummy! I beginning to wonder why people use eggs at all in baking! X

Oh yummy! I’ve never heard of these before!

Wales is a real tea shop kind of place, and these are found everywhere!

3. Heddi says:

Just made these this evening for our breakfast tomorrow. “Mixed Spice” was a new ingredient for me, so I just used cinnamon instead. My youngest is allergic to dairy, eggs and almonds, so this recipe is perfect. I’d never heard of Welsh Cakes before, so thanks for introducing me to them. Happy to have found your blog and look forward to trying more of your recipes. Many thanks!

I hope you enjoy your breakfast :-). I love welsh cakes and hope you do too…. The warm really well in about 29 seconds in the microwave 🙂
      Really pleased you found my blog…. Hope it’s of some use to you 🙂

4. Elizabeth says:

Hello I am going to be trying these for a couple of vegan guests at my daughter’s wedding – do they keep/freeze as well as traditional Welsh cakes ? I can’t wait to try them. I make traditional Welsh cakes at least once a month in batches of 50 and they freeze well.

Hi Elizabeth, I’ve not tried freezing but they keep reasonably well for a few days. I might try freezing a batch as I do love welsh cakes! X