I wanted a delicious spreadable pâté for my homemade bread, but not one that was full of mushrooms or lentils. I just fancied making something a bit greener. After some research, I came across the combination of artichoke and olive – I’ve got a bit of a thing about artichokes at the moment, and thought it was a flavour that might work with olive.
Well, all I can say is WOW! This is a delightful vegetarian pâté – punchy with artichoke and green olives, zingy with lemon and parsley. We had it in a ‘ploughmans’ style platter and as a dip with melba toasts, but I reckon it will be delicious as a sandwich spread with leaves and maybe some roasted peppers. Either way, you won’t come across a much healthier pâté ever.
Artichoke and Olive Pate (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 3-4 marinated artichoke hearts
- 15 green olives, I used chilli and garlic marinated stoned greek olives
- 1 small clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsps lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 big handful of parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tin of cannellini beans
- 4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste (at least 1/2 tsp)
– Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well combined but not completely smooth.
– Serve with homemade bread, melba toasts, crackers or in a sandwich
– Keeps for a couple of days in the fridge.