Chilli and Broccoli Salad

We’ve recently been swamped by broccoli – we seem to keep buying it although the fridge is full to bursting! Broccoli is lovely just boiled/steamed, but it’s good to do something a little more exciting with it occasionally.

This combination of soft onions, fragrant garlic, hot chillies, broccoli and mustardy dressing is bold and fiery. Add more chilli if you like, but we found one chilli perfect.

Chilli and Broccoli Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)

• 1 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
  • 1 onion, finely sliced
  • 1 clove of garlic, finely sliced
  • 1 red chilli, sliced into fine rings
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper

– Combine the vinegar, oil, mustard and seasoning. Whisk well and set aside.
– In 1tbsp oil fry the onion until soft and starting to turn golden
– Add the chilli and garlic and cook until fragrant. Set aside.
– Boil/steam the broccoli for 2 minutes, until just tender
– Refresh under cold water to stop the cooking
– Dress the broccoli with the vinaigrette and onions.
-Stir well and serve.

1. More Than Greens says:

Yum! Broccoli is my all-time favourite veg. Definitely trying this one!

Broccoli rocks – especially when it’s spicy 🙂

I used to belong to a co-op that gave me double heads of broccoli for 6 weeks in a row. It was coming out my ears! I could have used this recipe then, but I’ll definitely be making it!

That sounds like way too much broccoli – you can certainly have way too much of a good thing!

3. Genie says:

I haven’t had broccoli for awhile. Bob won’t eat it and I don’t like to buy it for just me. But this salad looks so good I may have to make it for myself.

Definitely worth making just for you – tasty and pretty healthy too!