Chocolate Swirl Cake

This is an adaptation of the Misfit Baker’s wonderful snicker doodle loaf recipe (if you haven’t yet, do check out her blog, she bakes the most wonderful vegan goodies). I made a version of the cinnamon loaf and it was such a big hit with the entire family that I decided to try a different flavour combo.

The sugar, cocoa and cinnamon swirl makes this cake quite different and rather pretty!

Chocolate Swirl Cake (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)

• 250g or 2 cups self-raising flour
  • 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 40g or 1/4 cup corn flour
  • 125g or 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine
  • 225g or 1 cup sugar
  • 200ml or 3/4 cup soya yogurt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 200ml or 3/4 cup oat milk
  • 3 tbsps soft brown sugar
  • 2 tbsps cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

– Mix together the brown sugar, cocoa and cinnamon and set aside.
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/gas mark 4
– Grease and line a spring-form cake tin
– Sift together the flour, corn flour and bicarbonate and set aside
– Mix together the yogurt, oat milk and vanilla and set aside
– Cream together the spread and sugar until light and fluffy
– Alternately add the flour and yogurt mix (about 1/3rd of the mix each time) and whisk well between each addition.
– Pour 1/3 of the mix into the cake tin and level off.
– Sprinkle 1/2 of the cocoa/sugar mix on top, the repeat the layers until all the ingredients have been used up.
– Sprinkle the top with a little more brown sugar
– Using a blunt knife, swirl the layers together
– Bake for 40-50 minutes, until a knife cones out clean
– Cool briefly in the tin before unmoulding.

IMG_5109IMG_5110

1. Starr says:

Lucy, I love what you did with the cake! I’ve always liked cinnamon/chocolate combos.

I still think your version is the bees-knees!

2. This looks really good, and like Starr, I love the cinnamon, chocolate combo too. Celeste:)

I wasn’t sure I would like chocolate and cinnamon, but it really works 🙂

3. livliveslife says:

Wow, this looks incredible! I’m going to make this hopefully very soon! I love chocolate/cinnamon, too – I even add a dash of cinnamon to chocolate chip cookies!

Thank you! I’ve been rather converted to chocolate and cinnamon! It’s not such a usual flavour combo in the UK, but it really does work!

I loved Starr’s creation too & you made it into a real winner also! I love it! 🙂 Can’t wait to make you last tasty creation! 🙂 Yummmm!

5. Sheila says:

this looks so so good! bookmarking this recipe 🙂

Thank you! If you make it, I hope you like it as much as we did 🙂

6. vixbakes says:

Lucy this looks delicious! Straight to my evernote notebook of recipes to try x

7. Natalie Gill says:

Did you bake this in a loaf tin? Can’t wait to make this!! x

I’ve made it in both a loaf and round cake tin. For a loaf just keep an eye on the cake from 35 mins as it may cook a little quicker x

1. Natalie Gill says:

What size would the cake pan be and would the cooking time be the same? x

I used a 9 inch tin and the cooking time is in the recipe

8. This looks delicious – I can’t wait to bake it! Can I omit the soy yogourt and substitute it with something else?

yes any yogurt would work but it needs the sour to make it rise properly. If necessary you could change the yogurt to milk of choice and add 1tsp vinegar or lemon juice