This is an adaptation of the Misfit Baker’s wonderful snicker doodle loaf recipe (if you haven’t yet, do check out her blog, she bakes the most wonderful vegan goodies). I made a version of the cinnamon loaf and it was such a big hit with the entire family that I decided to try a different flavour combo.
The sugar, cocoa and cinnamon swirl makes this cake quite different and rather pretty!
Chocolate Swirl Cake (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1/2 cup dairy-free spread
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup soya yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup oat milk
- 3 tbsps soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsps cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
– Mix together the brown sugar, cocoa and cinnamon and set aside.
– Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade/gas mark 4
– Grease and line a spring-form cake tin
– Sift together the flour, corn flour and bicarbonate and set aside
– Mix together the yogurt, oat milk and vanilla and set aside
– Cream together the spread and sugar until light and fluffy
– Alternately add the flour and yogurt mix (about 1/3rd of the mix each time) and whisk well between each addition.
– Pour 1/3 of the mix into the cake tin and level off.
– Sprinkle 1/2 of the cocoa/sugar mix on top, the repeat the layers until all the ingredients have been used up.
– Sprinkle the top with a little more brown sugar
– Using a blunt knife, swirl the layers together
– Bake for 40-50 minutes, until a knife cones out clean
– Cool briefly in the tin before unmoulding.