Summer has suddenly arrived, signalling the start of the picnic and barbeque season – expect lots of food to eat in the great outdoors over the next few weeks 😉
To start with: a stunningly simple and robust salad, perfect for transporting. Puy lentils make the ideal salad ingredient, keeping their beautiful shape and colour once cooked. This salad (inspired by an Alice Walters recipe) is as simple as they come – lightly dressed cooked lentils enhanced with green freshness. You could also use this as an accompaniment to many a main dish, or part of a platter of salads.
Super Simple Puy Lentil Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
- 1 cup puy lentils
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 2-3 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Large handful parsley, finely chopped
– Cook the lentils according to pack instructions, drain thoroughly.
– Stir in the oil, vinegar and seasoning. Leave to cool
– taste and adjust seasoning/vinegar as required
– Add the spring onions and parsley
– Serve (this salad keeps well for a couple of days but may need loosening itch a dash of oil before serving)