You may have noticed my fondness for Mexican cuisine – there is something so fresh and vibrant about the flavours and that kick of chilli that I find irresistible. A salsa ticks the fresh and colourful boxes and it’s a really healthy dip – no need for calorific creams or mayonnaises when you top your tortilla chips with this.
This sweetcorn salsa makes a bit of a change from a tomato-based one, and gives a great crunch to your dip. Enjoy as a dip, on a tostada, or even just as a side dish.
Sweetcorn Salsa (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 1 bowlful
- 1/2 red onion, very finely chopped
- 6 small or 2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1-2 red chillis, seeded and very finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup corn kernels (tinned or frozen is just fine)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
– Combine all the ingredients.
– Let sit for half an hour and then taste.
– Adjust the seasoning as necessary.