I’m always looking for new and exciting ways to pep up roasted vegetables, particularly at the moment with our current abundance of Mediterranean veggies. There seem to be courgettes and aubergines everywhere (kindly donated by friends and family who have gardens and allotments full of them), and do I love simply roasting them.
I was browsing a Delicious magazine the other day and in a feature on steak (obviously not my thing), I noticed a rather interesting sounding Argentinian sauce called Chimichurri. Normally served on grilled meats, I thought the heady, herby tang of the sauce would work well with vegetables. Think a more vinegary, spicy pesto or salsa verde and you get the right vibe. And our conclusion was that it’s quite a winner used liked this, or you could use it as a baste for anything on the barbecue.
For the Chimichurri Sauce (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
serves at least 4
- 2 chillies, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic (or more if you’re a fan), minced
- 3 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large handful parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
– Combine all the ingredients and leave for the flavours to mingle for at least a couple of hours
– Roast a selection of seasonal vegetables until well cooked (I opted for peppers, courgettes, mushrooms and tomatoes)
– Serve with the chimichurri drizzled on top, and extra on the side
Thanks for sharing this lovely compliment to roasted vegetables. Roasting vegetables is my easy, go to dinner many a nights, but it’s nice to jazz things up!
It’s true… Even delicious roasted veg can need a few accessories sometimes! 🙂
Yum! Looks great
Thanks! It’s certainly packed full of flavour 🙂
I must try chimichurri, can’t believe I haven’t tried it yet as I’e heard of it quite a lot and yours gorgeous!
I reckon it works great with veggies 🙂
Will give it a go, I’m on a quest for more exciting side dishes at the moment!
I treed this lovely gen saucebefore & loved it too! I will make your version soon! Yummy food!