Everyone seems to love a good Tiffin, or chocolate refrigerator cake, children especially, making it the ideal treat to have in for teatime treats for when children come round to play. It’s not really a complicated recipe at all and everyone has their own favoured versions, but this version is somewhere between classic Tiffin and chocolate crispy cakes with vegetarian marshmallows. And it went down a storm.
Crispy Chocolate Tiffin (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, sesame-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes enough for a 1 lb loaf tin
- 150g chocolate biscuits, I used Tesco Bourbon
- 1 1/2 cups rice Krispies
- 1/4 cup dried fruit of choice, I used dried strawberries
- 100g dairy-free dark chocolate, roughly broken
- 3 tbsps dairy-free spread
- 3 tbsps golden syrup
- 1 small pack of marshmallows, I used Freedom Vegetarian Marshmallows
– Line a loaf tin with parchment
– Roughly break up the biscuits, you want some fine and some chunky bits.
– Mix together the broken biscuits, rice krispies, dried fruit and marshmallows.
– In a microwave or over a bain-marie, melt together the chocolate, spread and golden syrup.
– Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well until everything is well covered.
– Pour into the prepared loaf tin and press down to level off the surface.
– Place in the fridge for at least an hour to firm up.
– Cut into even sized cubes and watch them being devoured!