My packed lunch/picnic struggle continues. We have our staples of my vegetarian sausage rolls, crudités, cookies or muffins and usually resort to sandwiches and crisps. Standard picnic fare but oh so yawn-worthy! Sometimes the girls like a pasta salad but they’re more likely to enjoy the salad veg when not combined into a satisfying bowlful.
This rice salad is unchallenging to the young palate and contains none of the odd ingredients adults can be fond of, but also transports well and fills up tummies without resorting to yet more sandwiches!
It may seem like a lot of vinegar to oil, but the rice sucks up flavour so readily that you need as much tang as possible.
Red, Gold and Green Rice Salad (dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free, soya-free, sesame-free, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan)
makes 1 bowlful
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tin sweetcorn, drained
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 small handful of parsley
– Cook the rice
– Meanwhile, whisk together the oil, vinegar, salt and garlic in the serving bowl
– Tip in the hot cooked rice and mix well to coat the grains in the dressing
– Cover and leave to cool
– Once at room temperature add the other ingredients and mix well
– Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
Looks so beautiful….